Thursday, June 2, 2022

Don Quixote-esk

The Earliest Stages

 

Well I got my first ever commission job.


Not that head



It was to get a suitable model for a mates DND character who was going to be based on Don Quixote. 

Close but wrong pose.


Don Quixote was the main protagonist from what is arguably the first modern novel ever written, from what I understand hes trying to prove that chivalry is not dead in a action filled romcom. Honestly it might make for a good read if I ever stopped looking at screens long enough to read a book again.

Sword was to thick



There was alot of back and forth around posing and weapons and what head to use but eventually settled on this. Quixote D'Dartagnan was born.

Helping Stablize the "blade" while it dries


Then I kept snapping his arm off while trying to sculpt in all the missing details for the cape and arms etc.

Charming Lad


After several sessions of Greenstuff he was finally ready to go.

Too Many Layers

From Loin Cloth to Cape


On Guard!

But if he was going to be a DND model he would need a carry case and who doesn't want to display their DND mini. So I went to DAISO and came up with this:


So Clean

Aside from me having putty on my fingers as I held and sculpted the display inside it and leaving fingerprints that were almost impossible to scrub off I believe it turned out great. 

Next time I will work out how to do the putty away from the clear plastic


Of Course Magnets for Traveling

Its owner is very happy with it and to quote them: "Thank you very much for bringing this character to life. The extravagance of the character will only ever be able to be matched the figure that represents him and the home for it."

No longer clean

He also said his friends were surprised I don't do this professionally (I wish).

Was happy with the flock till I see the photos

Some time in the sun
Can't beat Wellington on a good day




















Now that that is out of the way I can finally add some paint to the Van Saar. I am 4 weeks into the campaign so will do a catch up post with the short stories once I have some images to go with my walls of text. In the meantime here is the end game boss. It will take me 3 Campaigns to realise. Idea is for a full Grav Board gang but you can only get Grav boards on Juves. Juves can be promoted to Champions if you carry the gang into the next campaign and the same applies to Champions becoming leaders. Will probably end up with a gang of juve stat lines though...

Grav-Board Melta Cannon 😈 Spank me.



4 comments:

  1. He better be happy with it! You really pulled all the stops out there! I learned about using clear plastic the hard way with aeroplane canopies. i.e. lock them away until the last possible moment. And those Van Saar... man, they are just begging to be converted into an Inquistorial warband. I might have to get some. Just the models! Not Necromunda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure you don't want a demo game? 40k may be turning to shit but this is small warbands not huge armies and is way more narrative and fun. Then you can see the Van Saar up close.

      Delete
    2. I watched a Wellywood wargaming video where your TO spent 25 minutes talking about house rules he had to add in order to counteract all the Games Workshop bullshittery. Maybe if I picked up all the rules and house rules and supplements now, I'd be ready for a game in about 2 years?

      Delete
    3. To be fair, I think it is the spiritual successor to Rogue Trader and I am intruiged.

      Delete