Monday, March 2, 2020

OP Shopping for Terrain



Sump Overflow Outlet

So inspired by the likes of Eric's Hobby Workshop and Bard's Craft I decided it wouldn't be to hard to make some terrain. My son was amazed by their work and wanted to get started right away so we went to his "doodle draws" and started looking for some suitable stuff. For my piece I got a piece of cardboard to be the base a toilet paper roll, a plastic cup and some popsicle sticks. This made my general shape and I got some toothpicks to make a ladder as Necromunda does require ladders to move between floors in most cases.


Quick and Easy from around the house

I decided it was a sump overflow outlet. At the same time I found a billboard in amongst a bag of toys he got given from the OP shop. I took the stickers off and gave it some new designs instead.




The following weekend we upped our game and went out to the OP shops so we could build something bigger and more like what Eric was doing followed by a trip to the hardware store to get some wood to make some more stable bases for the terrain. Unfortunately I walked and there wasn't any wood thin enough or small enough that I could see. However on my way back to the exit I cut through the bathroom section where I found some cork floor tiles (Why anyone would put Corkboard tiles in their bathroom is beyond me).

4 OP Shops Later

Pulled apart with a screwdriver and then partially reassembled


Back home I found some slightly thicker cardboard and was able to try combat the curving on the base of my sump outlet. It was also used with my corkboard to start making the next pieces.


A post went up on the club as someone was looking to re-home some old terrain that needed to be repainted and didn't match his current set up, so lucky me I got some rocks.

FREE!!!


This is where I am at now with the OP shop terrain, it needs some wear and tear and some paint on the small piece, the big piece has a long way to go. Sadly when trying to turn the hotwheels booster start point thing into a moving lift the super glue was too runny and I glued the lift into a fixed position. So much for good ideas. Probably would have broken while being used anyway.


50 Shades of Grey

These are rocks resurfaced and repainted to match the sump outlet. I am also making some TTCombat terrain and not sure how I should paint the buildings to match the rest of table. More on these later once they are built.


Pathfinder Zombie for Scale.

The other thing I am considering is varnishing the terrain but I don't want to use my Matte Varnish that I put on my models as it will be damm costly but also concerned the car varnish I have will be too gloss (At some point I might have to post the refurbished Pig my Mother requested for Christmas).

Its a Tall Task


2 comments:

  1. Worth it just to spend time with your son. Is the refurbished pig Cuddles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea it is. And no the refurbished pig is the life sized paper mache pig my Mothers had for 20 years. We had dogs. Dogs like chewing on pig ears. She requested that I fix it for her as her christmas gift because in her view there is no difference between painting cuddles and painting a life sized paper mache pig...

      Delete