Sunday, April 5, 2020

Sanity and Peace of Mind in Isolation

 



Isolation is a mixed bag, its seems to have brought the household together but it also has brought a fair few stresses with it. Mostly it has been a good time to get some stuff done that has been put off for a long time. Some of it out of necessity and others just purely cause I find I now have more time and energy, gone are the 2 hours of commute or being stuck in town for lunch and quite frankly I feel working from home has improved my mood to a degree.

Computer Space - Terrain has since invaded

So this weekend I was able to tackle two big projects. First was sorting out the Office Space/Man Cave. I have had one desk for a long time, when I didn't have a PC it was dedicate to the Hobby, its small but I was able to work with it. Since the PC has been set-up they have been contesting for space, now with work the PC had to take dominance and I had to set aside most hobby project as they sat next to me but were near impossible to work on. Finally I was able to empty out the entire Man Cave on Saturday. My Step Father in Law who we are living with was able to install a new one legged table for the hobby letting me free up my space and have a dedicated section for both.

A Large hobby desk and a mountain of Sprue.

I need to sort the mountain of sprues I have and that might be a separate task to take all my spare bits off the old sprues and make my storage more effective and less intrusive. Considering nothing new has been brought into the room it does highlight how terrible my space was before.

First Draft Rough Layout

Moving on to Sunday I was able to start on my first board for my Necromunda/40k Table.

Nice Snug Fit between Terrain, a happy accident

This will done as a Sump Town/Toxic Waste Facility. Was able to pick a couple of pieces of Terrain, lay out a rough set up of what it could look like then set about carving the cork board tiles into Islands.

Dry Fit after carving shape into it.
The exposed MDF on the board will be covered with the Toxic Sump Sea. While in Necromunda its quite easy to use existing rules for Sump Pools which usually apply to the 2D tiles but in 40k its not so clear. Do I just go with a 'its knee deep soldier get in there' and treat it like a normal board, maybe I should transfer the Necromunda rules over (-1 toughness to non-vehicles) or treat it more like a forest or crater where there is a -1 to charge distances as charging through liquid is harder than normal ground which considering it covers most of the table would put melee armies at a huge disadvantage (But hey not every battlefield is the same or balanced).

Water Weights as the glue drys to keep it flat.




2 comments:

  1. Wow, you've been really busy! I wish I could say the same. Man Caves are a life saver imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the first few weeks were busy but then motivation really slowed.

      Delete